One day my cheap-dresser-drawer-bottom fell out.
All of its contents were lost in the back of the said dresser. As I tried to take the drawer out to search for the lost clothing, the whole piece of garbage fell apart!
This instance began the search for sustainable bedroom furniture.
We began in all of the big furniture stores looking at bedroom dressers and armoires. The ones we saw didn’t look much sturdier then the ones we already had and they were hundreds of dollars a piece. With three small children we couldn’t justify buying the set for thousands.
So one day, I thought I would take a peak at a different kind of “furniture store”.
Everyone laughed at me when I snapped this picture with my phone and showed them my newest project.
I ignored their chuckling like any visionary would. Instead, I convinced my husband that I could work some magic.
Luckily, he has learned to let me get my own way at times.
We lugged this
hideous heavy oak dresser home in our truck.
Complete with ornate finials, moth balls and spider webs.
I will admit, I really had to squeeze my imagination for some inspiration for this one. Those ornate finials were distracting every time I tried to dream up the new version this dresser could become. But, with some brain power, I pictured it sleek and streamlined with little brushed silver pulls. Good as new!
The dresser was soooo heavy! Full wood! Practically an entire tree! So moving it required some determination.
Quality furniture with a very dated look. 😉
Inside the dresser doors on either end, there were three little drawers. Sturdy too, and made of full wood.
For $25.00 we lugged it to its new home.
Once hidden, in the safety of our garage, away from prying and judging eyes, I started prying off the finials.
Those finials left a bazillion nail holes! And man, they were made out of real oak too! I had to pull out the imagination and the muscle for this project.
I just used a slot screw driver to pull them off. They revealed beautiful unstained wood, and I started to get excited again for this makeover.
I removed all of the pulls and which meant more holes that needed filled.
I started to get a little overwhelmed at this point since the piece wasn’t changing as quickly as I wanted it to. I knew there was a lot of work ahead of me, which doesn’t sit well with someone who can be impatient.
For the next nine months
my hubby and I sanded these pieces down.
If the garage got too cold or too hot with the weather, we would push this project aside.
It felt daunting.
I started filling some of the holes with this tinted wood filler and then hand sanded the filled spots until they were smooth. It was MUCH easier then I had anticipated, which meant I became passionate again to finish this ole dresser!
I filled the holes about four times each since the previous handles had gone right through the wood.
Finally, when we started to renovate our lower level I had a good reason to utilize the big empty area in the basement; to sand and paint till my hearts content, without the weather being an excuse.
So one evening we lugged this baby down to the big open area.
I puttied and sanded and puttied and sanded.
Because of all the drying time between applications, this process took a whole day.
Finally they were all sanded.
I then took out all of the drawers to get into all the tiny crevices of the wood.
After washing all of the surfaces to make sure they were free of dust, I taped off the ends.
I found two cans of Ralph Lauren Paint at my favourite free paint store. One gallon can wasn’t even opened! It was the perfect grey-taupe that I was looking for too! It is called `Mercer` and I got it in an eggshell finish.
After two coats of paint our furniture was ready to have new holes for hardware drilled in perfectly.
Since I would usually “eye ball it” I called in the pros.
“The King of the pros” = my husband.
We couldn’t decide what we liked better, so we went with round pulls and straight pulls with a slight antique look to them.
argued discussed where the round pulls should go and where the long pulls should end up. And then, we both ended up compromising.
Once the pulls were on, I wanted to make the inside of the drawers look pretty too. I found some lovely wallpaper on my travels for $2 a roll!
I picked up two kinds, since they were both too pretty to pass up. In the end, I decided on using the cream based one with the graphic black flowers that were outlined in a pretty gold.
I traced the drawers on to the wallpaper and used it as a liner.
Once the drawers were back in place, we spent a horrible evening lugging this heavy piece up four flights of stairs.
I don’t know what was worse, heaving the huge dresser up the stairs, or having my husband joke that he might drop the huge dresser on me as I tried to maneuver it up a skinny stair well.
Once in place though, we were both so happy at the way this little outdated dresser had changed.
I love how it can hold so much storage and it how it made such a transformation from its days as a dated dresser begging for someone to see its potential.
It fits perfectly into our bedroom.
I still cant believe this beauty was hidden in the back of a little store.
Just to refresh your memory, it looked like this before:
I love this big dresser on the little wall in our master bedroom.
The paint colour changes depending on the time of day. Sometimes it looks more taupe, sometimes a deep grey and sometimes it looks like it has a hint of blue.
I am one smitten kitten.
I only wish it didn’t take us a year to get motivated to complete this project.
It was definitely worth it.
PS: I am in the process of finishing a bunch of projects complete with tutorials! I hope you will follow along to cheer me on!