If you are someone who has an undeniable sweet tooth, but you are also looking for ways to incorporate more balanced and nutritious options into your diet, a delicious baked apple torte is going to meet all of your desires.
Baked apples are known to be sweet and flavorful and are both parts comforting and delicious and can curb your comfort food cravings. Apples themselves are considered to be a healthy fruit for many reasons. Here are some of my favourites!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF APPLES:
Apples are a popular fruit that are enjoyed all over the world. They are not only delicious but also packed with nutrients that provide numerous health benefits. Here are some of the health benefits of apples:
- Rich in antioxidants: Apples are a rich source of antioxidants, including flavonoids and phenolic acids. These antioxidants protect the body against free radical damage, which can cause oxidative stress and contribute to chronic diseases.
- Promote heart health: Apples contain fiber, which helps lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. The polyphenols in apples also have anti-inflammatory properties that can further promote heart health.
- Boost immunity: Apples are high in vitamin C, which is essential for the immune system. A medium-sized apple provides about 14% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C.
- Aid in digestion: Apples are a good source of dietary fiber, both soluble and insoluble, which helps promote healthy digestion and prevent constipation.
- Support bone health: Apples contain flavonoids and other compounds that help support bone density and prevent bone loss, reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
- Aid in weight loss: Apples are low in calories and high in fiber, making them a great snack option for those trying to lose weight. Eating apples can help you feel full and reduce overall calorie intake.
Overall, incorporating apples into your diet can provide numerous health benefits and is a simple and easy way to improve your overall health and well-being while indulging your sweet tooth.
Personally, I have been pursuing nutrient dense foods that positively affect hormone health. I have learned that apples can be really beneficial for hormone health, in a number of ways. Here’s how!
BENEFITS OF APPLES FOR HORMONE HEALTH:
Apples can have a positive impact on hormone health due to their nutrient content and other health benefits. Here are some specific ways in which apples may benefit hormone health:
- Balancing blood sugar: Apples contain fiber and a type of antioxidant called quercetin that can help regulate blood sugar levels. Maintaining healthy blood sugar levels is important for hormone balance, as insulin (the hormone that regulates blood sugar) can have a direct impact on other hormones in the body.
- Reducing inflammation: Chronic inflammation can disrupt hormone balance in the body, leading to issues such as insulin resistance and thyroid dysfunction. Apples contain polyphenols that have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce inflammation and support hormone balance.
- Supporting liver function: The liver plays a key role in hormone metabolism and detoxification. Apples contain antioxidants and other compounds that can help support liver function and promote healthy hormone metabolism.
- Providing essential nutrients: Apples are a good source of nutrients such as vitamin C, fiber, and potassium, which are important for overall health and can support hormone balance indirectly.
- Reducing exposure to harmful chemicals: Apples are one of the fruits that are most commonly contaminated with pesticides. Eating organic apples or washing conventionally grown apples thoroughly before eating can help reduce exposure to these chemicals, which can disrupt hormone balance in the body.
(However, it’s important to remember that diet alone may not be enough to address hormonal imbalances or other health issues. It’s always a good idea to consult with a healthcare provider if you have concerns about your hormone health or any other health issues.)
Overall, incorporating apples into a healthy diet can be beneficial for your hormone health! If you want to make a healthier version of a traditional apple pie, while positively affecting tour hormones, THIS recipe IS IT! This version incorporates a gluten free crust, with less saturated fat then traditional crusts and it is layered with bursts of flavour and texture that will have your taste buds dancing and it will ultimately gain your sweet tooths approval.
After your first bite of this baby, you will be running to add it to wherever you stock pile your family’s favourite recipes.
HEALTHY GLUTEN FREE TORTE RECIPE:
To start, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9-inch pan with a sprayed version of EEVO.
Now, you can make the crust.
For the crust you will need:
1 1/2 cups of blended rolled oats
2 teaspoons of coconut sugar
Salt to taste
Reserve a 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- To make your dough, add your oats to a food processor for 2-3 minutes until it becomes a flour mixture.
- Transfer the blended oats to a mixing bowl and stir in your coconut sugar and salt together.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and add your olive oil and stir until crumbly. Add 4 tablespoons’ of water, adding one at a time, to your mixture.
- Stir until your dough becomes slightly moist and sticky.
- Your crust batter may still be crumbly, but will stick together easily if you pinch it together. If it doesn’t, add 1-2 tablespoons of water.
- Press your dough into the bottom of a prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes.
While the crust is baking, you can prepare the filling.
For the filling you will need:
5 Medium apples, peeled and sliced
1/3 cup of brown sugar
3/4 juice of one lemon
1 teasppon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla
Peel and core 5 medium-sized apples, then cut them into thin slices.
In a separate mixing bowl, combine 1/3 cup of brown sugar, the juice of 3/4 a lemon, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla.
When the crust is done baking, arrange the apple slices on top of the crust in a circular pattern.
Pour the wet tort filling over the apples and smooth it out with a spatula.
Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the filling is set and the top is golden brown.
Let the tort cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan.
Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream or enjoy it on its own!
Naturally, the aroma of the cinnamon and nutmeg mixing with the sweet apples and delicious tort filling is enough to make your mouth water! This apple tort is sure to curb your sweet tooth while leaving you feeling satisfied while preserving your hormone health.
Have you ever made a crust with oats? would you use a food processor or a blender to create your crust? Personally, I have used both methods, and my Vitamix blender with the dry container reminds me why I purchased it! Did you enjoy this gluten free healthy apple torte recipe?